Monday, December 31, 2012

Happy New Year! (12 things I learned in 2012)

Happy New Year, readers! Thank you for everything: every comment, page view, & rating means so much to me...seriously, thank you so much! 

I thought I'd look back, nostalgic as I am, on my post at the end of 2011:

11 things I learned in 2011

1. It doesn't matter how something feels. It can feel right and be wrong...and vice versa.
2. There is never, NEVER a point when He isn't there for me any longer.
3. He will lift the heavy burden and give me rest.
4. Pride is the most addictive drug and the most painful living death.
5. Even when I begin to doubt the most fundamental of my beliefs, there is hope in a single cry, a single prayer.
6. When I find my happiness in something other than God, I become bitter. But in Him, not sin, is pure joy.
7. Emotions just plain stink.
8. I want to fall into the space in between me and God.
9. Worship is a way of living, not being on a stage.
10. You never know whose life you are reaching if you are simply living in love.
11.  Life comes down to the fact that God holds the future and we must trust Him.

And, now...

12 things I learned in 2012

1. Life is not always what you expect.  In school, I've had to realize that there is much more to strive for than what you hoped for--working hard may not always give you what you want, but it's still worth it. Also, I was in a car accident in 2012 that, though minor, had some frustrating and painful effects on me. I learned that God's plan may include very much that is unexpected, and unexpectedly rewarding.

2. My heart is treacherous. However, God is greater than my heart (1 John 3:20) and knows everything.  He's got a plan, and it's not my place to try to rush it.

3. Being a Senior (especially if you still have 5 classes to take) is not all the fun it's chocked up to be (*cough chemistry: it's awful cough*). However, it IS a time to appreciate everything you've learned over the past 12 years.

4.  Family means more than words can express.  It's never about whether they are your favorite people, or whether they are nice to you, or even whether they treat you right.  It's about the unusual and beautiful love that you share with them. It's a gift that I've too long ignored.

5. Dreams are good, but they can't overtake reality.  It's hard to let go of the fairytales and romantic ideals and cloud-9 moments, but real life is down here on planet earth. It's okay, and valuable, to find the strength to have faith when feelings are gone.

6.  It's not about what people think.  I've been a people-pleaser for a long time, but I'm realizing it's about having 1 Corinthians 13 love, not about making everyone like me.

7. Anger, hate, grudges, irritation, and resentment are poisonous.  Love keeps no record of wrongs (1 Cor. 13).  I won't pretend that I haven't argued and fought far too much this past year.  There are many things I regret and I wish I could take back.  But, forgiveness and love can cover many wrongs.

8. Music (like most of life!) is not always going to be fun or easy or feel like playing bagpipes in the park (uh...creativity is leaving me).  In fact, it can be extremely frustrating.  But if you love it, it's worth it to you. 

9. Math really isn't a plague like the Moses and Egypt one. It's actually alright (here's to hoping I don't eat my words...).

10. It's not about winning.  This is something that's hard to cope with for me (very, very, very hard...).  For example, at the state championship show this year, my horse and I placed 11th in one class. We were a couple tenths of a second away from a trophy (and we've never got one).  But the funny thing is, a trophy is nothing but a piece of metal.  What matters is the strength, the courage, the sportsmanship...the things that aren't so visible and won't fade.

11. God is awesome.  I hope you realize the power packed in those 3 words.  This God  created a galaxy beyond what my mind can grasp.  He created me. And He poured out His son's precious life-blood to save the scourge of the earth...me.  And not only that, He gives me opportunity after opportunity to feel His love and to be changed.    

12. Life is urgent. We are not guaranteed another day.  There's just so much more that I could be doing with my life. So very much that this world needs to know, needs to be shown. I can and will use my abilities to do something about it.

I'm ready to live much bolder, love much louder, and write much stronger in 2013.


~Elissa

No comments:

Post a Comment